The April 15 tax deadline will arrive as it always does, ready or not. Seniors needing assistance with this annual ritual can get free help through the AARP Tax-Aide Program. For personal assistance, several Washoe County Library branches and other locations around Reno and Sparks will be staffed with AARP volunteers at the times and locations listed below.
Where to Get Free Tax Filing Help from AARP in the Reno / Tahoe Region
- Northwest Reno Library: Thursdays and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Walk - ins only. February 7 through April 11. 2325 Robb Drive, Reno, NV. (775) 787-4100.
- Downtown Reno Library: Mondays and Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. First come, first served. February 4 through April 11. 301 S. Center Street, Reno, NV. (775) 327-8300.
- Spanish Springs Library: Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Appointments accepted. February 7 through April 11. 7100A Pyramid Lake Highway, Sparks, NV. (775) 424-1800.
- Reno Senior Center: Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Appointments required. 3925 Neil Road, Reno, NV. (775) 689-8484.
- Washoe County Senior Center: Mondays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Walk - ins welcome. 1155 E. 9th Street, Reno, NV. (775) 328-2586.
Tax Filing Help from the IRS
The IRS has more information about other free tax return preparation services, including the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program. To locate a VITA site, call (800) 906-9887. The AARP Tax-Aide Program is part of TCE.
The IRS free tax return preparation web page also has information about what to bring to your tax filing help session. It's worth checking out before you go and will help ensure that you bring everything you need to get those taxes finished and filed.