The April 15 tax deadline will arrive as it always does, ready or not. Seniors and other low to moderate income tax payers needing assistance with this annual ritual can get free help through the AARP Tax-Aide Program. For personal assistance, several Washoe County Library branches and other locations around Reno and Sparks will be staffed with AARP volunteers at the times and locations listed below.
Free tax help at Washoe County Library branches is also available through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). These IRS certified preparers are there to help low to moderate income taxpayers of any age.
Where to Get Free Tax Filing Help from AARP in the Reno / Tahoe Region
- Northwest Reno Library: Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. January 30 through April 10, 2014. Appointments required - call (775) 856-9591. 2325 Robb Drive, Reno, NV.
- Downtown Reno Library: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. February 4 through April 10, 2014. Walk - ins only. First come, first served. 301 S. Center Street, Reno, NV. (775) 327-8300.
- Spanish Springs Library: Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. February 6 to April 10, 2014. Appointments in person or by calling (775) 424-1800. Walk - ins assisted as time allows. 7100A Pyramid Lake Highway, Sparks, NV.
- Washoe County Senior Center: Mondays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Starting February 3, 2014. Walk - ins welcome. 1155 E. 9th Street, Reno, NV. (775) 328-2586.
- Dayton Senior Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Appointment required, call (775) 246-6210. 320 Old Dayton Valley Road, Dayton, NV 89403 (Lyon County).
Where to Get Free Tax Filing Help from VITA / TCE in the Reno / Tahoe Region
- North Valleys Library: Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. January 30 through April 12, 2014. Appointments in person or by calling (775) 972-0281. 1075 North Hills Boulevard #340, Reno, NV.
- Sparks Library: Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. February 1 through April 12, 2014. Appointments in person or by calling (775) 352-3200. 1125 12th Street, Sparks, NV.
- South Valleys Library: Wednesdays*, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. February 1 through April 12, 2014. Appointments in person or by calling (775) 851-5190. Walk-ins will be assisted as time allows. (*No tax assistance available on Wednesday, March 5.) 15650A Wedge Parkway, Reno, NV.
- Sierra View Library : Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. February 4 through April 15, 2014. Appointments in person. Walk-ins will be assisted as time allows. 4001 South Virginia Street, Reno, NV.
Tax Filing Help from the IRS
The IRS has more information about other free tax return preparation services, including the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program. The AARP Tax-Aide Program is part of TCE.
The IRS free tax return preparation web page also has information about what to bring to your tax filing help session. It's worth checking out before you go and will help ensure that you bring everything you need to get those taxes finished and filed.
Volunteer to Help With VITA and TCE
If you are interested in volunteering to help with these programs, get information at "IRS Tax Volunteers."