The Bottom Line
- Contemporary, upscale atmosphere
- Tasty food attractively presented
- Extensive menu; everyone should find something to like
- Prompt service, attentive wait staff
- Full liquor bar and sushi bar
- Out in northwest Reno; not a particularly convenient location
- Uses MSG according to waiter; ask for no MSG before ordering
- A tad pricey, but then this isn't a greasy spoon
- Large menu with traditional Chinese restaurant items and a number of unusual offerings
- Authentic and attentive wait staff
- Pleasant, contemporary atmosphere without loud music, jangling slot machines, or other annoyances
- Sushi bar with its own chefs (not also cooking for the restaurant)
- Full liquor bar
Guide Review - Peony Chinese Cuisine
The first thing you'll notice is the decor, which I found pleasant and elegant in a quiet way. Tables and chairs are black and booths are a dark red. The lighting is subdued, but plenty bright enough to see the menu and your companions. I liked the background music because it added to the pleasant atmosphere without overpowering the place. I've never been able to hang with the loud traditional Chinese music some places insist on playing.
You will recognize many of the menu items, along with some unusual offerings like "seafood with tofu in clay pot." We (my wife Jewel and I), played it safe, ordering pot stickers for appetizers, followed by snow peas with water chesnuts and BBQ pork chow mein. The food was brought out quickly, wasn't greasy, and tasted great.
The sushi bar was attended by two chefs and every stool was full. I thought it a bit unusual to have such an offering in a Chinese restaurant, but it appears to do just fine in Peony. The waiter told me it's busy all the time.
Peony Chinese Cuisine is in northwest Reno at 6340 Mae Anne Ave. #2. Phone (775) 747-3288 for information and to order carry-out.