The Nevada Museum of Art (NMA) in Reno hosts a wide variety of events and activities each month. There are things to do and see for families and children as well as cultural and art events designed for adults. Here are some of the things you can enjoy this month at the Nevada Museum of Art. For details and information about even more exhibits and goings on at the Nevada Museum of Art, visit the Museum's Event Calendar.
Events and Exhibits at the Nevada Museum of Art - April, 2014
Maurice Sendak: 50 Years, 50 Works - Through April 27, 2014. Maurice Sendak: 50 Years, 50 Works is a comprehensive memorial exhibition of 50 select artworks by the late author, artist and illustrator Maurice Sendak, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the publication Where the Wild Things Are, Sendak’s universally revered children’s book.
Special Events at the Nevada Museum of Art
Black Rock Design Institute Presents: Cheryl Barton / OCB Landscape Architecture - Thursday, April 17, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Office of Cheryl Barton (O|CB) is a nationally recognized design leader in the shift toward a more sustainable future through landscape architecture and green urbanism. Tickets are $12 / $8 for Museum members. You can buy tickets online.
Where the Wild Things Are: Pajama Party and Film Screening - Friday, April 18, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Parents and children are invited for a festive pajama party at the Museum. Participants will enjoy a hands-on art project, after-hours access to the exhibition, Maurice Sendak: 50 Years, 50 Works, 50 Reasons, evening snacks and a special screening of the 2009 Spike Jonze film Where the Wild Things Are. This event is designed for families with children ages 7 to 12. Tickets are $20 / $16 for Museum members. You can buy tickets online.
Scholastic Art Awards 2014: Gold Key Works - through April 11, 2014. The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, a national competition, was founded in 1923 to identify and document outstanding achievement by young artists and writers in the visual and literary arts. Year after year the program continues to see increased participation from students and communities across the country. Free with regular admission.
Regularly Scheduled Events
First Thursday: Mental Floss - Thursday, April 3, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Grab a beer, groove to the live music, and check out the galleries. Sponsorship by Barrick Gold of North America and hosted by The X 100.1 FM Radio and Great Basin Brewing Company. Wine bar sponsored by Total Wine and bottled water donated by Sam's Club. Admission is free for Museum members and there is no additional charge for visitors with paid regular admission.
hands/ON! on 2nd Saturdays - Saturday, April 12, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The theme for this month's free family program is A Wild Rumpus.. The day will include hands-on art projects and storytelling. Admission is free for everyone on 2nd Saturdays. Here is the schedule for hands/ON! this month...
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Art activity - Theater Lobby.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Art activity - Redfield Learning Center.
- 10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. - Children's storytelling with Kathleen Durham - Altered Landscape Gallery.
- 11:30 a.m. - Where the Wild Things Are / Donde Viven los Monstruos: A Bilingual Reading - Sendak Exhibition.
- 12 noon and 1 p.m. - Jam'n Kids - Interactive Early Childhood Music Education with JamPro Music Factory - Theater (repeats).
- 1 p.m. - Public tour (adult focus) - 3rd floor.
- 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. - Children's storytelling with Kathleen Durham - Sendak exhibit.
- 3 p.m. - Film: Where the Wild Things Are and 5 More Stories by Maurice Sendak - Theater.
- 3:30 p.m. - Where the Wild Things Are / Donde Viven los Monstruos: A Bilingual Reading - Sendak Exhibition.
chez louie presents Sunday Music Brunch: Memory Motel - Sunday, April 6, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Enjoy a musical brunch at chez louie. The menu features artful dishes, mimosas, and a bloody mary bar. Reservations strongly encouraged - call (775) 284-2921.
chez louie presents Sunday Music Brunch: Colin Ross - Sunday, April 13, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Seattle Songstress Jill Cohn has hit the road to promote her new release, "Yellow Rose," produced by Grammy Award winning producer Malcolm Burn. Join us at chez louie for mimosas and brunch and listen to Cohn croon songs that pay homage to artists like Joni Mitchell and Sara McLachlan.
chez louie presents Sunday Music Brunch: Colin Ross - Sunday, April 20, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Enjoy a musical brunch at chez louie. The menu features artful dishes, mimosas, and a bloody mary bar. Reservations strongly encouraged - call (775) 284-2921.
Guided Tours at the Museum - Several guided tours per month are available free to NMA members and visitors with paid admission. Space is limited to a first-come, first-served basis and reservations are not needed. For times, dates, and more information, call (775) 329-3333. There are also school and group tours available.
E.L. Cord Museum School
Classes at the E.L. Cord Museum School - The E.L. Cord Museum School offers art classes on a year-around schedule. There are a wide range of classes for people of all ages, skills, and technical abilities to foster their creativity. Toddlers, children, teens, adults and seniors are welcome to explore their artistic side. Class topics include painting, life drawing, sculpture, ceramics, printmaking, photography, design courses, and book arts. Learn more from the Museum School Class Schedule.
A sampling of classes includes Intermediate Oil Painting, Book Arts: Non-Adhesive Bookbinding, Explorations in Pen & Ink, El Arte: Art for Kids in Spanish, Mini Masters: Vincent Van Gogh, Claymates, Kids Corner: Imitate the Great - Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, Clay: Earthworks, Studio Photography: Portraiture, and many, many more.
Current and Upcoming Exhibits at the Nevada Museum of Art
- Scholastic Art Awards 2014: Gold Key Works (through April 11, 2014)
- Franklin Evans: timepaths (through April 20, 2014)
- Maurice Sendak: 50 Years, 50 Works (through April 27, 2014)
- Phyllis Shafer: I only went out for a walk... (through May 11, 2014)
- Lauren Bon & The Optics Division Team: Transforming Inert Landscape into Agency (through May 25, 2014)
- Judy Natal : Future Perfect 2040-2030-2020-2010 (through June 3, 2014)
- Realm of the Commonplace: Paintings by Patricia Chidlaw (through June 8, 2014)
- Italian Baroque: Paintings from the Haukohl Family Collection (through July 6, 2014)
- Stephen Galloway: Place / No Place (through July 6, 2014)
- Davey Hawkins: Eagle Brand (through July 6, 2014)
Source: Nevada Museum of Art.