Discover Your Parklands is a series of free ranger-guided tours of eight different parks in Washoe County. The walks all start at 7 p.m. and will be eight Thursday evenings between June 2 and September 8, 2011. The tours last between one and two hours and are open to everyone. Wear sturdy shoes, some water, and an extra layer of clothing in case the weather cools off in the evening. For more information, call (775) 823-6519.
According to a press release from Washoe County Parks, here's what Discover Your Parklands is about, "This series of ranger-guided walks is one of the best ways to learn about the unique experiences every Washoe County Park has to offer. County parks reflect the region’s variety of climates, including spectacular high desert landscapes, lush ranching valleys and the majestic pine forests of the Sierra's eastern slope. Washoe County parks are also home to many of the area's historic and cultural points of interest."
Discover Your Parklands Schedule
- June 2: Sun Valley Regional Park - Sidehill Drive at Quartz Lane, Sun Valley (just west of Esther Bennett School).
- June 16: Swan Lake Nature Study Area in Stead - East end of Lear Blvd. off Military Road. Binoculars and a bird guide suggested.
- June 30: Bowers Mansion Regional Park - 4005 Old U.S. 395, Washoe Valley.
- July 14: Michael D. Thompson/Hunter Creek Trailhead - Woodchuck Court west of Plateau Road in the Juniper Hills area.
- July 28: Wilson Commons Park in Washoe Valley - 4970 Susan Lee Circle off Old U.S. 395.
- Aug. 11: Lockwood River Park - Exit 22 to Canyon Road, off the I-80 freeway east of Sparks.
- Aug. 25: Galena Creek Recreation Area and Visitor Center - 18250 Mt. Rose Highway.
- Sept. 8: Tour the historic buildings at Rancho San Rafael Regional Park - 1595 N. Sierra Street, Reno.
Directions to all park tour walks (except Bowers Mansion and Wilson Commons) are in the Truckee Meadows Trail Guide available for download from the Washoe County Parks website.