Ice skating at Rink on the River in Reno is a fun activity everyone can enjoy during the depths of winter. Since opening in 2005, Rink on the River has become a popular venue in downtown Reno, attracting locals and visitors alike to the city center. It operates every day during the season (weather and ice conditions permitting). The 2013 - 2014 season runs from Tuesday, November 26 through Sunday, February 2. Rink on the River operations are dependent on ice and weather conditions. Call the Rink Hotline for current information - (775) 334-6268.
If watching others have fun together gives you pleasure, you don't even have to skate to enjoy visiting Rink on the River. There are also occasional public exhibitions by local figure skaters.
Rink on the River Location
Rink on the River is in downtown Reno at the corner of First and Virginia Streets, next to the Truckee River and across from Reno City Hall. The Mapes Hotel Casino occupied this spot until it was demolished in 2000. The old Virginia Street Bridge is here, too, at the place where what is now Reno first sprang from the desert.
Reno Holiday Tree Lighting Opens Rink on the River
The ceremonial lighting of Reno's Holiday Tree will begin at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, November 26, at Rink on the River. Reno Mayor Bob Cashell and the City Council will be there, along with the Billinghurst Middle School choir singing carols. At about 5:15 p.m., the mayor will light the tree and Rink on the River will open for the season. Those in attendance will get free skate rental if they bring a donation of new gloves, socks, hats, or scarves, which will go to support the work of the Salvation Army.
Parking at Rink on the River
Parking is free in the upper floors of the Cal Neva garage, directly across from the Rink and next to City Hall (the big black building). Nearby street parking is usually available after business hours, but it's metered until 6 p.m., except on Sundays. Reno PD has an active parking enforcement patrol, so don't park without paying the toll or you may end up helping support the traffic court. The big lot next to the old Washoe County Courthouse, at the corner of Court and Virginia Streets, is open to free public parking after 5 p.m. on weekdays and all day on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
Admission Prices for Rink on the River 2013 - 2013 Season
- $7.50 - Adults (ages 13 - 54)
- $5.50 - Children (ages 3 - 12)
- $5.50 - Seniors (ages 55+)
- $2.50 - Skate rental. Figure skates from kids size 7 to adult size 13, and hockey skates to size 15 are available.
10 visit punch passes that include skate rental are $85 for adults, $65 for youth and seniors. Passes without skate rental are $65 for adults, $45 for youth and seniors.
Season passes are $140 for adults, $100 for youth and seniors. Season passes are for admission only and do not include skate rental.
Rink on the River SeasonThe 2013 - 2014 season starts on November 26, 2012 and runs through February 2, 2014.
Rink on the River Regular Hours of Operation
- Monday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Thursday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Friday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. - 11 p.m.
- Saturday: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Sunday: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Rink on the River Holiday Hours of Operation
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, November 28 - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Family Day - Friday, November 29 - 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Thanksgiving Weekend - Saturday, November 24 - 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Christmas Eve - Tuesday, December 24 - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Christmas Day - Tuesday, December 25 - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Holiday Break - Monday, December 23, 3013 through Friday, January 10, 2014 - Regular hours with no mid-day breaks.
- New Years Eve - Tuesday, December 31 - 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- New Years Day - Wednesday, January 1 - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Monday, January 20 - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Community Appreciation Skate Nights at Rink on the River
There will be two evenings during the 2013 - 2014 season with free admission and skate rentals...
- Monday, December 9, 2013, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Monday, January 13, 2014, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Reserve Rink on the River for Your Event or School Group
Rink on the River can be reserved for group gatherings, parties, and special events. If your group is 20 or more and reservations are made at least two weeks in advance, skate rental is free. School groups of 100 or more pay $3 per child Monday through Friday, only during the 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. session. For details and more information, call (775) 334-2262.
Ice Skating Lessons at Rink on the River
Actually knowing how to skate isn't a prerequisite for taking to the ice. Sign up for group lessons and you'll be doing double axels in no time, or at least learn to take a spin around the rink without hanging on the wall. For the Parent & Tot (ages 3 to 5) class, parents must participate on the ice and in skates. Private lessons are also available by appointment. Call (775) 334-2262 for more information.
Skating for the Disabled
Rink on the River has sledges available so people with disabilities can join in the fun. Sledges are sled / skate devices that permit a seated person to maneuver across the ice using short poles.
More Information About Rink on the River
Before visiting, call the Rink on the River Hotline at (775) 334-6268 to make sure the Rink is operating normally. Adverse weather, equipment problems and / or bad ice conditions may cause temporary closures. It does happen.
Rink on the River Videos and PicturesSee what ice skating in Reno is like. Check out my Rink on the River still pictures and videos.
- Rink on the River Still Pictures
- Rink on the River Video #1
- Rink on the River Video #2
- Rink on the River Video #3
Learn More About Ice Skating
Like other athletic endeavors, ice skating requires learning and practice, from basic techniques up to advanced figure skating moves. These articles will get you going in the right direction...