Free tax filing assistance is available at Washoe County Library branches during tax season. Tax filing help is provided by volunteers through AARP Tax-Aide and the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Programs.
Library branches and times for the 2013 tax season are listed below. Note that some locations either require or recommend appointments.
IRS Certified AARP Volunteer Preparers
This program assists low to moderate income taxpayers of any age with special attention to those 60 years of age and older.
- Northwest Reno Library: Thursdays and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Walk - ins welcome. 2325 Robb Drive, Reno, NV. (775) 787-4100.
- Downtown Reno Library: Mondays and Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Walk - ins welcome. 301 S. Center Street, Reno, NV. (775) 327-8300.
- Spanish Springs Library: Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Appointments required. 7100A Pyramid Lake Highway, Sparks, NV. (775) 424-1800.
IRS Certified VITA/TCE Volunteer Preparers
- North Valleys Library: Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., January 31 through April 13. Appointments required; make in person or call (775) 972-0281.
- Sierra View Library: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., January 29 through April 11. Make appointments in person.
- South Valleys Library: Wednesdays, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., January 30 through April 13. Appointments recommended; make in person or call (775) 851-5190.
- Sparks Library: Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., January 26 through April 13. Make appointments in person or call (775) 352-3200.
Local Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Offices
For more information and tax help, contact the Reno IRS office at 200 South Virginia St., Reno, NV 89501. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The information number is (775) 824-2218.
Sources: Washoe County Library, AARP, IRS.