March, 2014 at the Washoe County Library
The Washoe County Library System offers many free events, activities, and presentations. Children of all ages, families, and adults will find something of interest at every library branch in Washoe County. Here are some highlights of what's going on at various library branches. In addition to what's listed here, each library branch has many activities specific to that branch. Check the library's online calendar for details about what's going on at your branch.
Connect to the Library
With your library card and PIN, you can call and access your library account over the phone - review checkouts, review holds, renew items. This automated service is available 24/7 at (775) 785-4149.
E-books and Audiobooks from the Library
Thousands of titles are available for online check out. Learn how to take advantage of this cool library service from "E-books and Audiobooks from the Washoe County Library."
Cherish the Ladies
Joanie Madden and her four Irish-American colleagues of Cherish the Ladies have been wowing audiences and music critics worldwide for 25 years. Their spirited, foot-stomping Celtic concerts garner standing - and dancing - ovations everywhere. "They are the musical equals (some would say betters) of the Chieftains. One of the finest traditional performances I've ever attended." - Irish Edition (Philadelphia).
- Tuesday, March 4 - 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- Wednesday, March 5 - 4 p.m. to 5 p.m., Sparks Library
- Wednesday, March 5 - 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., South Valleys Library
Free Tax Filing Help at the Washoe County Library
It's time to start thinking about that unpleasant annual task - filing your tax return. There is now free help available at branches of the Washoe County Library, for senior citizens as well as low to moderate income filers of all ages. Follow these links for more information...
When going to a tax help session, bring these items with you...
- Valid identification.
- Social Security (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification
- (ITIN) cards for you, your spouse, and dependents.
- All W-2 and 1099 forms you received.
- Daycare payment records.
- Bank account and routing number for direct deposit.
- Both spouses must be present if filing jointly.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA)
ACA Educators with Community Health Alliance will be on hand to present information and answer questions.
- Sunday, March 2 - 11 a.m., Spanish Springs Library
- Wednesday, March 12 - 4 p.m., Sparks Library
Help With Houses Series
Real estate professional Anthony Biagi will present information on what you need to know about the foreclosure process or dealing with an underwater home. Topics to be covered include...
- Avoid Foreclosure
- Understand Your Underwater Options
- Lower Your Payments
- Get Top-Dollar for Your House
- Resolve Mortgage Issues
- Wednesday, March 26 - 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., South Valleys Library
- Friday, March 28 - 11 a.m. to 12 noon, North Valleys Library
- Sunday, March 30 - 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
March Sale at Read Again Bookstore
Read Again Bookstore, a fundraising function of Friends of Washoe County Library, will be having one of its periodic book sales from March 8 through 16, 2014. You can pick up tons of books and other media really cheap and you'll also be supporting our Washoe County Library System.
Doors will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on each day of the sale. Friday, March 7, will be preview day for Friends of Washoe County Library members. If you aren't a member, you can join at the door.
Native West African performers share the history and culture of their homeland through costumes, masks, drumming, and dancing.
- Saturday, May 31 - 11 a.m. to 12 noon, North Valleys Library
- Saturday, June 7 - 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., South Valleys Library
E-Book Cafe at Sierra View Library
Access over 7,000 downloadable e-books and audiobooks from your e-reader, tablet, or smartphone with your library card. Learn how to browse, checkout, and download from the library's Overdrive catalog and about other library apps for articles, language learning, and small business/company research. Bring your device and your questions.
- March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 - 11 a.m. to 12 noon, Sierra View Library
E-Book Cafe at Spanish Springs Library
Learn how to browse, checkout & download on your device. By appointment only - call (775) 424-1800.
- Tuesday, March 4 - 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- Wednesday, March 12 - 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- Wednesday, March 19 - 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- Tuesday, March 25 - 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
E-Book Cafe at South Valleys Library
Bring in your eReader (with USB cord), tablet, or smartphone, and we will help you get set-up for checking out and enjoying Library eBooks. You can download eBooks right from the library computer.
- Fridays, March 7, 14, 21, 28 - 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., South Valleys Library
- Fridays, April 4, 11 - 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., South Valleys Library
Downtown Sunday Movie Matinee
Join us on selected Sundays throughout the month at the Downtown Library for our Sunday Movie Matinee! Watch a variety of popular movies for free in the library auditorium. Call (775) 327-8301 to inquire about movie titles and for more information.
- March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 - 2 p.m., Downtown Reno Library
Family Games Day at Spanish Springs
It's time for some competitive fun at our all new Family Games Day. Bring your family and friends and try out board games such as Scrabble, Clue, Monopoly, Wheel of Fortune, Sequence, chess, checkers and more. All ages and abilities welcome.
- March 2 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- April 6 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- May 4 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- June 1 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
St. Patrick's Day Family Program
It's almost St. Patrick's Day and that means it's time to "get your green on" by making a Leprechaun hat and a rainbow mobile. So, wear your green and have some Irish fun with us. All ages welcome.
- Sunday, March 9 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
Touring father and son duo share their passion for music performance and education with "Sixteen Horns From Around the World."
- Tuesday, March 18 - 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- Thursday, March 20 - 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., Senior Center Library
Art Talk and Reception - "Wally's World: The Loneliest Art Collection in the World"
Wally Cuchine will talk about his passion for collecting art. By his own estimation, he owns between 1,500-2,000 pieces. Meet Wally and a few of the artists who have works in the show, and enjoy some light refreshments. Free and open to the public.
- Saturday, March 22 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Northwest Reno Library
Computer Classes at the Library
Each class will be 90 minutes. For more information and to reserve a seat, call the Downtown Reno Reference Desk at (775) 327-8312. Reservations are required.
Downtown Reno Library every Wednesday at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Sparks Library every Thursday at 9:15 a.m.
- Week One - Mouse and keyboard
- Week Two - Windows desktop
- Week Three - Using Windows
- Week Four - Introduction to the Internet
- Week One - Introduction to email
- Week Two - Using email
- Week One - Intermediate Internet
- Week Two - Advanced Internet
Online Resource of the Month - Access Science
Access Science - High school students begin your science research here. Distinguished writers and editors provide comprehensive articles, engaging videos, embeddable animations, and downloadable images. This online resource contains high-quality reference material that covers all major scientific disciplines.
Enjoy a cultural adventure through Japanese history and customs. Tsurunokai performs traditional Japanese folk music and original compositions. Come participate in drumming and dancing.
- Tuesday, May 6 - 3:30 p.m. to 4:30, Downtown Reno Library
Friends of Washoe County Library Read Again Bookstore
Friends of Washoe County Library is located next door to the Sierra View Library in the Reno Town Mall. A huge thank you goes out to mall owner Rob Rothe for his continued support of the Friends. The first sale at Read Again Bookstore for 2014 was in January. Future sale dates will be listed below when they become available. Preview day for Friends members is on the first Friday of each sale period. If you aren't a member, you can join at the door. The sale is open every day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- January 10 - 19, 2014.
- March 7 - 16, 2014.
Live, Online Homework Help for Students
Washoe County Library System is offers the Brainfuse HelpNow services. Brainfuse HelpNow provides students with live, on-demand homework help and skills building lessons from a dedicated group of expert tutors. Students can also access a full-service writing lab and an integrated test prep center.
With HelpNow, students communicate with tutors in real time using a virtual, whiteboard classroom by writing, drawing and marking up lessons/web content. HelpNow can provide tutoring in elementary, middle school, high school, intro college and adult education. Tutors are available seven days a week from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. PST. You can access Brainfuse online with your Washoe County Library System card account number.
Where to Donate Books to the Washoe County Library
If you would like to donate books, bring them to the rear of Reno Town Mall, located at 4001 South Virginia Street in Reno (across from the Reno - Sparks Convention Center). Drive to the back of the mall and look for the signs and red doors. The book donation door is tucked in the corner of Burlington Coat Factory. Book donation hours are Tuesday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 12 noon.
Keep going for more Events and Activities at the Washoe County Library.