December, 2013 at the Washoe County Library
The Washoe County Library System offers many free events, activities, and presentations. Children of all ages, families, and adults will find something of interest at every library branch in Washoe County. Here are some highlights of what's going on at various library branches. In addition to what's listed here, each library branch has many activities specific to that branch. Check the library's online calendar for details about what's going on at your branch.
Library Closures During December
All branches of the Washoe County Library will be closed on Christmas Day, December 25.
Connect to the Library
With your library card and PIN, you can call and access your library account over the phone - review checkouts, review holds, renew items. This automated service is available 24/7 at (775) 785-4149.
E-books and Audiobooks from the Library
Thousands of titles are available for online check out. Learn how to take advantage of this cool library service from "E-books and audiobooks from the Washoe County Library."
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
In Tune Tales presents the classic Dr. Seuss favorite, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," in its entirety with story, characterizations, music, lyrics, and sound effects. The performance will include holiday songs and sing-alongs.
- Tuesday, December 10 - 2 p.m., Gerlach Community Library
- Saturday, December 21 - 11 a.m., North Valleys Library
- Sunday, December 22 - 2 p.m., Downtown Reno Library
NorthStar Chamber Players present "Woodwind Quintet Concert"
The popular woodwind quintet will perform favorite holiday classics. Enjoy selections from "The Nutcracker," Christmas carols and other seasonal music. Featuring Toni Healy, flute; Amy Heald, oboe; Darrell Moore, clarinet; Ben Benson, bassoon; Bruce Kanzelmeyer, horn.
- Tuesday, December 3 - 4 p.m., South Valleys Library
- Tuesday, December 3 - 6 p.m., Sparks Library
- Wednesday, December 4 - 4 p.m., Downtown Reno Library
- Wednesday, December 4 - 6 p.m., Northwest Reno Library
- Thursday, December 5 - 5 p.m., Spanish Springs Library
- Saturday, December 7 - 11 a.m., North Valleys Library
- Saturday, December 7 - 3 p.m., Incline Village Library
Santa Claus at the Washoe County Library
Santa is taking time from his busy schedule to stop by the library. Whether they've been naughty or nice, your children won't want to miss this opportunity to visit with Mr. Claus himself. Bring your camera!
- Wednesday, December 11 - 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m., Downtown Reno Library
- Wednesday, December 18 - 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., North Valleys Library
- Thursday, December 19 - 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Spanish Springs Library
- Friday, December 20 - 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., South Valleys Library
- Saturday, December 21 - 11 a.m. to 12 noon, Northwest Reno Library
- Saturday, December 21 - 12 noon to 1 p.m, North Valleys Library
Bring in your e-book reader (with USB cord), tablet, or smartphone, and we will help you get set up for checking out and enjoying free library e-books.
- Fridays at 3 p.m. - South Valleys Library
- Wednesday, December 4 and 18 - 3 p.m., Spanish Springs Library - call (775) 424-1800 for appointment
- Tuesday, December 10 - 6 p.m., Spanish Springs Library - call (775) 424-1800 for appointment
Computer Classes at the Library
Each class will be 90 minutes. For more information and to reserve a seat, call the Downtown Reno Reference Desk at (775) 327-8312. Reservations are required.
Downtown Reno Library every Wednesday at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Sparks Library every Thursday at 9:15 a.m.
- Week One - Mouse and keyboard
- Week Two - Windows desktop
- Week Three - Using Windows
- Week Four - Introduction to the Internet
- Week One - Introduction to email
- Week Two - Using email
Internet Series (search tips and library resources)
- Week One - Intermediate Internet
- Week Two - Advanced Internet
Online Resource of the Month
Powerful search functionality provides access to EBSCOHost's vast collection of popular magazines and in-depth journals.
Friends of Washoe County Library Read Again Bookstore
Friends of Washoe County Library now has a new home next door to the Sierra View Library in Reno Town Mall. A huge thank you goes out to mall owner Rob Rothe for his continued support of the Friends. The first sale at Read Again Bookstore was in January. Future sale dates for 2013 are listed below. Preview nights for Friends members are on first Fridays, from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. If you aren't a member, you can join at the door. The remaining days are open to the public from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- March 8 - 10 and 15 - 17.
- May 10 - 12 and 17 - 19.
- July 12 - 14 and 19 - 21.
- September 13 through 22.
- November 8 through 17.
Live, Online Homework Help for Students
Washoe County Library System is offers the Brainfuse HelpNow services. Brainfuse HelpNow provides students with live, on-demand homework help and skills building lessons from a dedicated group of expert tutors. Students can also access a full-service writing lab and an integrated test prep center.
With HelpNow, students communicate with tutors in real time using a virtual, whiteboard classroom by writing, drawing and marking up lessons/web content. HelpNow can provide tutoring in elementary, middle school, high school, intro college and adult education. Tutors are available seven days a week from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. PST. You can access Brainfuse online with your Washoe County Library System card account number.
Where to Donate Books to the Washoe County Library
If you would like to donate books, bring them to the rear of Reno Town Mall, located at 4001 South Virginia Street in Reno (across from the Reno - Sparks Convention Center). Drive to the back of the mall and look for the signs and red doors. The book donation door is tucked in the corner of Burlington Coat Factory. Book donation hours are Tuesday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 12 noon.
Keep going for more Events and Activities at the Washoe County Library.