What is Safe Place?Safe Place in Reno is part of a nationwide program that provides a first step to help for youth at risk or in crisis. Various community organizations, government agencies, and businesses collaborate to provide places where immediate safety and help is available, and offer support services to both young people and their families. Safe Place in the Reno area is coordinated by the Children's Cabinet, "a private non-profit organization with the mission of creating a lasting public-private partnership to address the needs of children and families in our community."
According to the National Safe Place organization, "Safe Place provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for all young people in crisis through a network of sites sustained by qualified agencies, trained volunteers and businesses." Situations where youth might seek a Safe Place include family problems, alcohol and drug issues, running away, domestic violence, thoughts of suicide, being bullied, and various other unsafe difficulties.
Safe Place Locations in the Reno AreaEach Safe Place is identified by a distinctive yellow sign displaying the Safe Place logo. The newest Safe Place location in Reno is Sibayan Recreation Center at 1090 Bresson Avenue, near Vaughn Middle School. This designation makes the City of Reno the thirteenth Safe Place partner in Reno. Other Safe Place locations include:
- The Children's Cabinet main office at 1090 S. Rock Blvd. in Reno
- The Children's Cabinet office at 2005 Silverada Blvd. in Reno
- City of Reno Police Substations (4 locations)
- McDonald's restaurants in northern Nevada and nearby California
- McGee Center at 2097 Longley Lane in Reno
- Reno First United Methodist Church at 209 W. First Street in Reno
- RTC Washoe (over 110 buses and vans and over 1100 bus stops)
- The Boys and Girls Club of Truckee Meadows (7 locations)
The Safe Place coordinator in Reno is Michelle Sahagun. For more information, contact her at (775) 682-1312.
Sources: City of Reno press release, The Children's Cabinet, National Safe Place.