Free music fills the air around Reno and at Lake Tahoe during the summer. Here are some of the free music concerts you can attend while enjoying the warm, sunny days of summer in the Reno / Tahoe region.
Free Music from Artown
All during July, Artown presents a number of free music events, including...
World Music Series - Music artists from around the world perform free concerts on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the Wingfield Park Glenn Little Amphitheater. Escape the confines of Reno with sounds from around the globe. This concert series is presented by Artown.
- July 2 - Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu
- July 9 - Carlos Nunez
- July 16 - Mariachi Sol De Mexico De Jose Hernandez
- July 23 - New York Gypsy All-Stars
Reno Municipal Band - Enjoy a free patriotic music performance in Wingfield Park on Friday, July 4. The show is part of a day of family activities during Artown.
Rollin' on the River - Local and regional bands perform on Fridays during July at the Glenn Little Amphitheater in Wingfield Park. The music starts at 5:30 p.m. and it's free to attend. Past performers have included Booker T. Jones, Jesse Colin Young, Crash Test Dummies, Charlie Musselwhite, Michelle Shocked, Todd Snider, Stacey Earle, David Lindley & Wally Ingram, Norton Buffalo and Maria Muldaur. No glass, outside alcohol, high back chairs, or pets are permitted.
- July 4 - Patriotic music in Wingfield Park
- July 11 - Los Pinguos from Argentina
- July 18 - Brad Wilson, guitar player from California
- July 25 - The System, tribute to Bob Seger
Monday Night Music Series - These free Artown performances will be at the Robert Z. Hawkins Amphitheater in Bartley Ranch Regional Park. All start at 7:30 p.m.
- July 7 - Colin Ross and Mig O'Hara - jazz and blues
- July 14 - Perla Batalla - songs from Leonard Cohen
- July 21 - Reno Philharmonic - Pops at the Ranch
- July 28 - Michael Kaeshammer - Canadian boogie woogie artist
More Music at Artown - There are a number of free musical performances around the Reno area during Artown. Check the Artown 2014 calendar for times and dates. There are also some featured performances where you have to buy tickets.
Summer Music Series at Lazy 5 Regional Park
Every Wednesday evening from June 25, 2014 through August 28, the Lazy 5 Regional Park offers free concerts showcasing local bands and a variety of musical styles. Concerts start at 6:30 p.m. The series sponsors are Washoe County Parks and Summit Christian Church. Additional sponsorship has been provided by Western Village, NV Energy, Shirley's Farmer's Markets, Laurie Brazier of State Farm, Pack N' Post of Spanish Springs, First Independent Bank, Heritage Bank of Nevada, Hobey's Casino, and Hippies. Lazy 5 Regional Park is located at 7100 Pyramid Way in Spanish Springs. Seating is on the lawn so bring blankets or low-back beach chairs. Dinner or snacks in small coolers are welcome. Glass containers and pets are not allowed. There will be a farmers market and raffle prizes at every show. For more information, call (775) 823-6500.
- June 25 - An evening of Vintage Rock featuring Tazer
- July 2 - Americana / Bluegrass by Southwestern Pilgrimage
- July 9 - Old Time Radio Show with The Gabardine Sisters
- July 16 - Tribute to the Band America by Ventura Highway
- July 23 - Instrumental Surf with The Mighty Surf Lords
- July 30 - A Musical Variety featuring Cosmic Boogaloo
- August 6 - Blues & Rock with the Rick Hammond Band
- August 13 - Americana/Bluegrass featuring Homemade Jam
- August 20 - An evening of Classic Rock with Midnight Fire
- August 27 - Squirrely & Soulful Bluegrass by Slide Mountain
Sky Tavern Summer Music Series
Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program, operated in facilities leased from the City of Reno, is the oldest and largest non-profit ski and snowboard program for youth in the United States. The city does not fund Sky Tavern - all funding comes from participants, grants, donations, and fundraisers. Admission is free, with a suggested minimum $10 donation per adult to support the Sky Tavern Scholarship Fund. Concerts will be at Aspens at Sky Tavern, 21130 Mt. Rose Highway. Food and beer from Silver Peak will be available. Events are from 12 noon to 5 p.m.
- June 22 - The Novelists and Monique Jade
- July 20 - Rigorous Proof, Love Like Wes, Pieces of Eden
- August 17 - Mojo Green
- September 14 - CRVSH
Genoa Americana Celebration
Come to Mormon Station State Historic Park in Genoa to enjoy the free Genoa Americana Celebration on July 4, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. You'll be able to enjoy bluegrass, traditional jazz, string band, and old time music. The Carson City Cymphony will perform at 4:30 p.m. Bring low-back chairs and blankets to sit on. No pets or glass containers. This is a "Nevada's 150th Anniversary of Statehood" event.
Concerts at Commons Beach in Tahoe City
Concerts at Commons Beach are free family events in Tahoe City. These afternoon and early evening concerts feature local, regional, and national performers. Concerts are on Sundays through September 7 and begin at 4 p.m. (except June 22 and 29, August 31, September 7, which begin at 3 p.m.). Bring a picnic from home or get food, drink, and goodies from local vendors. There is a playground for the kids at Commons Beach.
- June 22 - Afrolicious / Roemers
- June 29 - Peter Joseph Burtt & Kingtide / Jellybread
- July 6 - Turkuaz
- July 13 - Mingo Fishtrap
- July 20 - Lebo & Friends
- July 27 - Leche De Tigre
- August 3 - Mumbo Gumbo
- August 10 - New Monsoon
- August 17 - Dead Winter Carpenters
- August 24 - SambaDa
- August 31 - Joy & Madness / Groove Foundry
- September 7 - The Nibblers / NTHS Jazz Band
Music on the Beach at Kings Beach - North Lake Tahoe
Music on the Beach, sponsored by the North Tahoe Business Association, presents a series of free Lake Tahoe concerts at Kings Beach State Recreation Area just west of Incline Village on the California side. The music is on Friday evenings from June 27 through August 29, from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Food and drink will be available at the venue. For more information, call (530) 546-9000.
- June 27 - Blues Monsters
- July 11 - Drop Theory
- July 18 - Miss Lonely Hearts
- July 25 - Zanzibar
- August 1 - The Wrinkle
- August 8 - Mojo Green
- August 15 - Keyser Soze
- August 22 - Horsemouth
- August 29 - Jacked Up
Live at Lakeview Summer Concert Series in South Lake Tahoe
Live at Lakeview is a free summer concert series in South Lake Tahoe. The venue is Lakeview Commons Beach at Highway 50 and Lakeview Avenue in the town of South Lake Tahoe, CA. Performances are on Thursdays from June 26 through August 28, 2014, from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Parking is limited. Concert goers are encouraged to walk in or ride bikes (free bike valet). Food and drink will be available. For more information, call (530) 600-2233. No dogs.
- June 26 - Peter Joseph burtt & The Kingtide
- July 3 - Lavish Green
- July 10 - Tracorum
- July 17 - Randy McAllister
- July 24 - Paa Kow's By All Means Band
- July 31 - Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds
- August 7 - 40 Watt Hype
- August 14 - Mojo Green
- August 21 - Scott Pemberton Trio
- August 28 - Rocker T