Free music fills the air around Reno and at Lake Tahoe during the summer. Here are some of the free music concerts you can attend while enjoying the warm, sunny days of summer in the Reno / Tahoe region.
Free Music from Artown
All during July, Artown presents a number of free music events, including...
World Music Series - Music artists from around the world perform free concerts on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the Wingfield Park Glenn Little Amphitheater. Escape the confines of Reno with sounds from around the globe. This is presented by Artown.
- July 3 - Midnite
- July 19 - Mariachi Los Camperos de Nati Cano
- July 17 - Yemen Blues
- July 24 - Red Baraat
Reno Philharmonic: "Pops at the Ranch" - A free patriotic music concert at the Robert Z. Hawkins Amphitheater in Bartley Ranch Regional Park. The show is on July 3 and starts at 8 p.m.
Rollin' on the River - Local and regional bands perform on Fridays during July at the Wingfield Park amphitheater. The music starts at 5:30 p.m. and it's free to attend. Past performers have included Booker T. Jones, Jesse Colin Young, Crash Test Dummies, Charlie Musselwhite, Michelle Shocked, Todd Snider, Stacey Earle, David Lindley & Wally Ingram, Norton Buffalo and Maria Muldaur. No glass, outside alcohol, high back chairs, or pets are permitted.
- July 5 - Whitney Myer (opening - Grace Gatsby)
- July 12 - Hot Club Sandwich (opening - Mark Sexton Band)
- July 19 - Blue Moon Swamp (opening - Smokin' Bulldogs)
- July 26 - Janiva Magness (opening - (opening - Guitar Woody and the Boilers)
Monday Night Music Series - These free Artown performances will be at the Robert Z. Hawkins Amphitheater in Bartley Ranch Regional Park. All start at 7:30 p.m.
- July 8 - Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra and the Reno Youth Philharmonic
- July 15 - The Glenn Miller Orchestra
- July 22 - Contraband
- July 29 - "Those Were the Days" - The Spirit of Song of the 60s
More Music at Artown - There are a number of free musical performances around the Reno area during Artown. Check the Artown 2013 calendar for times and dates. There are also some featured performances where you have to buy tickets.
Summer Music Series at Lazy 5 Regional Park
Every Wednesday evening through August 28, the park offers free concerts showcasing local bands and a variety of musical styles. Concerts start at 6:30 p.m. The series sponsors are Washoe County Parks and Summit Christian Church. Additional sponsorship has been provided by Western Village, NV Energy, Desert Wind Homes, Laurie Brazier of State Farm, Pack N' Post of Spanish Springs, First Independent Bank, Heritage Bank of Nevada, Simply Thai, and Nevada Outdoorsman Unlimited. Lazy 5 Regional Park is located at 7100 Pyramid Way in Spanish Springs. Seating is on the lawn so bring blankets or low-back beach chairs. Dinner or snacks in small coolers are welcome. Glass containers and pets are not allowed. For more information, call (775) 823-6500.
- July 3: A Tribute to Cheap Trick by Cheap Lick
- July 10: Classic Rock with Paisley Braincells
- July 17: Western Ragtime by CW & Mr. Spoons
- July 24: Blues and R&B with Guitar Woody & The Boilers
- July 31: Bluegrass, Folk, & Cowboy with The Mountain Girls
- Aug. 7: Alternative Country by The Refiners
- Aug. 14: Americana, Blues & Boogie with Colin Ross Band
- Aug. 21: Celtic, Bluegrass & Contemporary by Contraband
- Aug. 28: The Bystanders with Katy Simon
Thursday Nights at the Sparks Hometowne Farmers' Market
There will be a variety of free musical entertainment each week at the Sparks Hometowne Farmers' Market. The 2013 market runs every Thursday through August 22 (except July 4 and August 8), from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Americana Music Festival - Come to Virginia City to enjoy the Americana Music Festival from July 19 through 21. Music styles to hear include bluegrass and country. There will be over a dozen bands at five different venues in Virginia City. This one isn't free - tickets start at $20.
Concerts at Commons Beach in Tahoe City
Concerts at Commons Beach are free family events in Tahoe City. These afternoon and early evening concerts feature local, regional, and national performers. Concerts are on Sundays through September 8 and begin at 4 p.m. (except the Sept. 8 one, which begins at 3 p.m.)
- July 7 - Tumbleweed Wanderers
- July 14 - The California Honeydrops
- July 21 - Monophonics
- July 28 - Vinyl
- August 4 - Eddie Roberts West Coast Sound
- August 11 - Mumbo Gumbo
- August 18 - Joe Craven Trio
- August 25 - SambaDa
- September 1 - Locals Last Waltz and Tahoe City Birthday Party, featuring four bands
- September 8 - NT Jazz Band and Beergardeners
Music on the Beach at Kings Beach - North Lake Tahoe
Music on the Beach, sponsored by the North Tahoe Business Association, presents a series of free Lake Tahoe concerts at Kings Beach State Recreation Area just west of Incline Village on the California side. The music is on Friday evenings from July 5 through August 30, from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, call (530) 546-9000.
- July 5 - Peter Joseph Burtt & The King Tide
- July 12 - Sneaky Creatures
- July 19 - Tracorum
- July 26 - Mojo Green
- August 2 - Flannel Fish
- August 9 - Mama's Cookin'
- August 16 - The Northstar Session
- August 23 - McCoy Tyler Band
- August 30 - Terraplane
Live at Lakeview Summer Concert Series in South Lake Tahoe
Live at Lakeview is a free summer concert series in South Lake Tahoe. The venue is Lakeview Commons Beach at Highway 50 and Lakeview Avenue in the town of South Lake Tahoe, CA. Performances are on Thursdays, from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, call (530) 600-2233. No dogs.
- July 11 - Naive Melodies
- July 18 - Achilles Wheel
- July 25 - Vokab Kompany
- August 1 - The Polyrhythmics
- August 8 - 40 Watt Hype
- August 15 - The Congress
- August 22 - Lavish Green
- August 29 - Arden Park Roots