Who Must License Their Dog?
Dog owners living in Reno, Sparks, or congested areas of Washoe County must license dogs four months old and above. To find out if you live in a congested area for dog licensing purposes, refer to the Animal Congested Areas Map and search on your address.
How Many Dogs and/or Cats Can I Have?
Washoe County regulations allow up to three dogs per residence in the incorporated areas of Reno and Sparks and in animal congested areas of Washoe County. Up to seven cats per residence are permitted in the incorporated areas of Reno and Sparks. If you exceed these limits, or plan to do so, you must obtain a kennel or cattery permit.
Getting a Dog License in Washoe County
Washoe County dog licenses may be obtained through an online application, by downloading an application and mailing it in, or in person at Washoe County Regional Animal Services, 2825-A Longley Lane in Reno. A copy of the current rabies vaccination certificate for each dog must be included. For more information, call (775) 353-8901. Annual license fees are as follows...
- Unaltered - $20
- Spayed or Neutered - $8
- Senior Citizen (65+) - $8
Washoe County Code 55.340
Licensing of dogs in congested areas required; annual license; fees; license tags; unlawful to fail to license.
1. Within a congested area in the county, every person keeping or maintaining any dog over the age of 4 months, within 30 days after the dog attains this age, or after first bringing a dog into a congested area to keep and maintain, shall obtain and thereafter continuously maintain for the dog a current and valid dog license issued by the county and shall comply with the vaccination provisions of section 55.580.
2. Each dog license issued by the county shall be annual and must be renewed annually within 30 days from the expiration date of the license. After this date, a penalty fee shall be charged for late licensing.
3. The license fee shall be set, and may be amended from time to time by the board of county commissioners.
4. Upon exhibition of the proper certificate of vaccination pursuant to the provisions of section 55.590 and payment of the license fee, the county will issue:
(a) A certificate stating the license year for which the license fee is paid, a description of the dog, the date of payment and the name and residence address of the person to whom the license is issued.
(b) A metal or plastic tag numbered to correspond with the license or certificate of registry with the license year stamped thereon.
5. The dog license is not transferable from one dog to another.
6. No refund shall be made on any dog license fee because of death of the dog or the owner moving out of the county before expiration of the license period.
7. It is unlawful for the owner of any dog to keep or maintain the dog in any congested area unless it is licensed as provided in this chapter. [§38, Ord. No. 1207]
Source: Washoe County Regional Animal Services.