Deadline for applications to attend the spring session of the Reno Citizens Institute (RCI) is March 1, 2013. This excellent program is an eight week course about the workings of Reno city government. By investing the time and effort into RCI, you will become an informed citizen and better able to participate in the civic life of the city. You might even find some volunteer opportunities where you can share your special expertise or knowledge. RCI is always popular, so apply right away or you might not get a spot.
Photo © Stan White
RCI is a first-class operation, facilitated by Reno Neighborhood Services. I graduated from the spring 2008 session and feel it was well worth the time. If you are interested in public service (elected office, boards and commissions, etc.) or just want to learn more about how things work in Reno, RCI is for you. Apply for this next session, which begins March 5, by filling out and faxing the simple application available from a link on the RCI website. Participants must be at least 18 years old and work or reside in the Truckee Meadows. A minimal background check is required, primarily to make sure participants do not have outstanding warrants. For more information, call (775) 334-2025. The schedule for this upcoming Reno Citizens Institute is below.
Sessions are on Tuesday evenings, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- March 5 - City Manager's Office
- March 12 - Reno Police Department
- March 19 - Parks, Recreation and Community Services
- March 26 - Reno Fire Department
- April 2 - Public Works
- April 9 - Municipal Court and City Attorney's Office
- April 16 - Community Development/Code Enforcement/ Business License
- April 23 - Human Resources, Finance and Communications & Technology
- May 8 - Graduation at the Reno City Council meeting
Get more Reno / Tahoe information:- Receive the Reno / Tahoe Newsletter.
- Speak up on the Reno / Tahoe Discussion Forum.
- Follow me on Twitter.