1. Local

Discuss in my forum

Standley White

How to get a marriage license in the Reno area

By February 12, 2013

Follow me on:

Getting married in the Reno area is still a popular thing to do, though tying the knot around here isn't quite as prevalent as it was back in the heyday of Reno's famous (infamous?) divorce trade.

Once the decision is made, the would-be married couple will need a marriage license. This is pretty easy to do in Reno - the Marriage License Bureau at the Washoe County Clerk's Office is open from 8 a.m. to midnight, 365 days a year.

Up a Lake Tahoe and down in Carson City and the Carson Valley, you will find marriage license offices for these other Nevada and California counties. Marriage licenses issued by any county in Nevada are valid throughout the state. I'm not sure about California - call ahead to find out about this. More information about all of these areas is found in my "Reno Area Marriage Licenses" article.

Same-sex marriage is still not legal in Nevada. It remains to be seen if that ever changes. Meanwhile, couples who are residents of Nevada can register as domestic partners thanks to a law passed in 2009. The Nevada Domestic Partnership Act lets any couple, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, register as domestic partners. Nevada couples who register as domestic partners are now recognized as a unit and extended rights similar to those held by married couples.

Get more Reno / Tahoe information:

- Receive the Reno / Tahoe Newsletter.
- Speak up on the Reno / Tahoe Discussion Forum.
- Follow me on Twitter.


No comments yet. Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.