1. Local

Standley White

What was your first car?

By August 5, 2012

This post was fun and popular when I first put it out four years ago and it is still getting comments. With Hot August Nights 2012 about to begin, I'm posting it again for all of us to play with. As before, I start off with my own first car story - now it's your turn.

My first car was a real piece of junk. It burned oil and laid down a smoke screen, but it was my car and I loved it. Hey, what do you want for $75? That heap was an English Ford Anglia, mid-60s vintage (I don't remember the exact year.). It was kind of a hand-me-down from my older brother, who could no longer stand to be seen in such a lowly ride. This being the era when the first real muscle cars were built, my father called it the U.K. Mustang. I thought that was pretty funny so I went along with the joke.

Hot August Nights, Reno, Nevada.
Classic Mustang at Hot August Nights, Reno, Nevada.
Photo © Stan White

After the Anglia, I moved on to real British sports cars. I owned two TR-3s and had a friend with a TR-4. Others in our gang had Alfa Romeos, Porsches, and Austin Healeys. We felt quite superior to the uncouth masses cruising around in the detested Detroit iron. Unfortunately, they were quite a bit faster than our refined foreign machines, which tended to make us a bit jealous. Even so, speeding tickets were not hard to obtain. Now, with Hot August Nights cars cruising Reno's streets, those Detroit iron hotrods look pretty sweet.

What was your first car? Was it cool, a junker, or something in between? Was it something I might see at Hot August Nights or is it more likely part of a refrigerator?

Get more Reno / Tahoe information:

- Receive the Reno / Tahoe Newsletter.
- Speak up on the Reno / Tahoe Discussion Forum.

Comments

August 7, 2008 at 12:19 pm
(1) Kallie says:

Mine was definitely not hot!

It was a 15-year old Toyota Tercel. My mother made me sell it after it stalled in a Seattle intersection with her in the passenger seat; we were nearly killed by an on-coming bus.

Ah, memories!

August 7, 2008 at 12:31 pm
(2) D says:

My first car was a hand me down from my parents: A 13-year-old Dodge Caravan. Very uncool – I was 24 and my friends joked that I looked like a soccer mom driving that thing around. But it was came in handy, and I even used it to help a friend move.
My first car that I actually bought was a Toyota Prius in 2002. *Very* cool! It now has almost 100,000 miles on it and still runs great. Woohoooo! Go green!

August 7, 2008 at 12:33 pm
(3) charlie says:

My first car was a 1978 Chevy Caprice Classic wagon… in a sort of metallic rust color that had weathered to something approaching “rotting pumpkin orange.”

It was approximately the same length as a Los Angeles-class nuclear submarine.

This was in 1989 or so.

August 7, 2008 at 12:41 pm
(4) kevin says:

My first car was a 1953 Austin-Healy Sprite. The car was as old as I was when I bought it for $125.

August 7, 2008 at 12:43 pm
(5) Katherine says:

My first car was a 1990 Chevy Cavalier, 2 doors, in baby blue. The air conditioning rarely worked and it sagged to the ground when a particularly overweight friend rode shotgun. Definitely on the junker side of the scale. But I loved it because I bought it with my own money, which I had earned singing. Imagine, getting paid enough to sing that you could buy a car!

August 7, 2008 at 12:46 pm
(6) Tim says:

I had an early-’90s Mazda 323 SE. The only thing I cared about was whether the tape player worked and how the speakers sounded. I’m not much of a car guy, but I sure do care about my sound system.

August 7, 2008 at 1:00 pm
(7) Lisa says:

My first car was incredibly cool, in a decidedly offbeat sort of way. It was a hand-me-down from my parents, a 1985 Chevy Cavalier five speed in bright yellow! This was 1992, so it was already seven years old.

I cracked the a/c block taking a bump at high speed about a month after I got the car. There was no power steering. The clutch had a super-tricky sweet spot.

I was a major goth/punk, so my friends and I covered the sagging headliner with safety pins. We bound, gagged and pierced a stuffed Kermit the frog and hung him from the rearview mirror. We named the car Gertrude.

I loved that car! When I went to college a few hours from home, though, my parents bought me a black 1989 Mazda RX-7. They kept the Chevy as a spare, and it lasted until it was hit from behind at 50+ mph, finally totalling it. That car had almost 350,000 miles when it was totalled, and probably could have gone another 100K or so.

August 7, 2008 at 1:10 pm
(8) Barb Rolek says:

My first car was a Chevy Nova. The only thing hot about it was the color — fire-engine red. I banged it up pretty good, but it was a good car!

August 7, 2008 at 1:14 pm
(9) Deborah says:

Ahhhh, the things we used to do in cars! Somehow, I just can’t seem to fit in the backseat like I used to! Haha. Anyway, my first car was a 1966 Mustang, and no it was not stock. Mag wheels, jacked up in the back, glasspacks (or whatever made the muffler roar), that car was fast and so cool. Unfortunately, I ran into a mountain at the river in it and neglected to check the oil and there was a tear or something in the oil thingy and it all leaked out….the bottom line, I blew the engine in my baby and was no longer “Mustang Debbye”. Sad, but true tale….

August 7, 2008 at 1:21 pm
(10) Randall says:

Wow… you were all rich kids. My first car was a 1966 Dodge Dart. It was over 10 years old when I got it. But how many people can say that they’ve had a car whose automatic transmission was shifted by “radio buttons” on the dashboard instead of a stick of some sort?

August 7, 2008 at 1:40 pm
(11) Kerry Michaels says:

My first car was a very used Opal Manta. I shared it with my brother and sister and we were so very cooooool.

August 7, 2008 at 2:24 pm
(12) Scott says:

My first car — 1929 Model A. It was 5 years older than I was. It was stored in a farmer’s chicken coop.
I learned to drive and got my first driver’s license with it.
Wish I still had it.

August 7, 2008 at 3:53 pm
(13) Karin says:

A canary yellow Opel Kadett. It was a real rust bucket, with a hole in the floor on the passenger side and a screetching fan belt you could hear miles away… but I was a student and ‘I had wheels’ so what did I care? I knew I had to give it up when my breaks failed one day and I had to go through the red lights in a really busy intersection (luckily I survived to laugh about it!)

August 7, 2008 at 4:36 pm
(14) Adam Fendelman says:

Mine was a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix. By the time I retired her, the ceiling hang low, the A/C hardly worked and the brakes barely stopped at a yardstick let alone a dime. But she sure was fast and I loved ‘er long time.

August 7, 2008 at 4:48 pm
(15) Clara says:

I was born in the UK, i know Ford Anglias, I haven’t seen one in Britain for years…

My first car was when I lived in the UK. It cost $150, it was a Vauxhall Nova (not a Chevvy Nova) and several key components were held on with duct tape. It ran with no oil, no water, did about 35 mpg and I loved it to bits. Sigh.

August 7, 2008 at 5:47 pm
(16) Deb says:

Ha! Great rides. Mine was an aqua ’65 Chevy Impala, and it wasn’t too bad until my sister smashed the front quarter and Dad replaced it with a blue one from a junkyard! Then it was a true two-toned junker. We’re talkin’ 1972. :-)

August 7, 2008 at 10:48 pm
(17) Naomi says:

A 2 year old black Geo Prizm which had amazing gas mileage. It supposedly rivals the gas mileage that hybrids have today but it felt like plastic so I’m glad I never got in a bad accident.

August 7, 2008 at 11:00 pm
(18) Susan Adcox says:

A 1960 Ford Falcon, baby blue. Definitely not hot. This was 1964. And I shared it with my sister. But wheels meant independence, so we loved it!

August 8, 2008 at 5:32 pm
(19) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

So klong ago I hardly remember the name – I think a Chevy Impala of my folks that I Share with brother or else something similar, my grantdomther bought, that I shared with my sister. I think the first car I bought my self was a VW suped up beetle, The last car I just bought is a TDI Bug which gets 55 mpg, In between I had 4WD SUV types which I really miss.

August 8, 2008 at 8:51 pm
(20) Debbie says:

I had a ’78 Pontiac Grand Prix, two tone blue and jacked up in the back. It broke down every time I tried to go somewhere, but I was just happy for some freedom from the ‘rental units.

August 11, 2008 at 3:34 pm
(21) Lisa T. says:

The first car I bought myself was a 1973 Pontiac Firebird, navy blue with a white top. Used. I had it painted a prettier light blue and had the vinyl top dyed. Let’s just say I should have left it with its original colors. It had an 8-track, and the previous owners gave me their old 8-tracks. Through these, I discovered the Stones, Traffic (Stevie Windwood), the Guess Who (“American Woman”) and Yes…albums I never would have known about otherwise. If I’d kept those 8-tracks, I bet I could sell them on eBay for a small fortune right now. Or not.

September 11, 2009 at 12:55 am
(22) Matt W. says:

Well I’m 17 so I’m still driving my first car. It’s a gray 1992 Oldsmobile 88 Royale. Made 1992-1993. My grandfather purchased the car around the early 90s, drove it for a few years until he turned 84, gave it to my dad, now I drive it. The upholstery on the ceiling and around the sides of the car has basically turned black and rotted, the steering wheel is cracked and the air conditioning doesn’t work. I love it, my mom has a shiny Kia Sedona but I still prefer the oldsmobile.

December 7, 2009 at 9:18 pm
(23) Tyler says:

Well my first car I still own today, because I’m 18 and bought it when I was 17.
Its a 1999 Nissan pulsar which I paid $8,000 for.
Its bloody good and runs well and drives well.

December 9, 2009 at 11:14 pm
(24) Patrick says:

I am fifteen with a 1986 trans am. it has no aged look to it and a Awsome sound system. V-8 engine and cant forget the t-tops all for 4,800 dollars and just over 56,000 miles. I LOVE IT! it is maroon and soon have a bird on the hood!

December 13, 2009 at 11:25 pm
(25) Hugo says:

My first car was a 1995 Chevrolet Corsica in mint condition. I bought it this year but I got hit by a stoned teenager (Older than I am :P ) and got it totaled. It was a granny car but I loved it so badly. Now I drive a 94′ Pontiac Grand-Prix SE sedan. It’s not in good shape like the Corsica was but it drives me from A to B. Even tho people at my school laugh about it since some of them get BMWs as presents…

January 5, 2010 at 8:46 pm
(26) TrewPresype says:

Where is a good place to sale my old wrecked car? Please help me by sugesting some sites or companies.

January 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm
(27) Paul says:

I bought my first car at the age of 16 and it was 01 Vw Golf, probably worst car I ever owned. It was pleasure to drive but if I had todays mechanical abilities I would be still driving it. Traded it for a Volvo and Bmw later

June 27, 2010 at 1:28 am
(28) Anthony says:

Hehe, my first car was a 2000 Toyota Camry.

July 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm
(29) Dj says:

I am going to be 16 In eight months and i’m getting a 2010 escalade hybrid or a 2010 Lexus lx 300!!!
Yay me!!!

July 26, 2010 at 12:00 pm
(30) LK says:

My first car in 1984 was a 1968 Corvair. My Father talked me into getting this car saying it was a classic. Besides the car was made in April 1968 which was the month & year I was born LOL. It was lowered with fatter tires on the back to be able to handle turns (unlike what Ralph Nader said). Great car other than oil leaks, body rot from the previous SF owner (sea air) and besides that was how I met my Daughter’s father.

August 2, 2010 at 12:37 am
(31) chris says:

Im turning 16 in1 month and my car is gonna be a gto judge people are gonna be able to hear me from a mile away

August 4, 2010 at 9:24 am
(32) Chizzbo says:

First car is a Nissan Silvia S14…and yes it goes sideways ;)

August 5, 2010 at 6:39 pm
(33) Jenny Tavernier says:

First car – 1963 Plymouth Valiant – Pushbutton Automatic.
Not only did it simply & naturally look like you were looking thru a telephoto lens, (Great design) – but it was SIMPLE, rode smoother than anything, and never needed repairs – just maintenance. It Died (engine) in 75.
Still the best car I have ever driven!

a fat old classic volvo (late 50s) Which I learned stickshift in N. Cal hills, and a 78 Saab Stick – ( olive green, olive shaped!) real leather and Blaupunkt! Very Fun to drive!

August 13, 2010 at 11:22 pm
(34) wade says:

hmm well im not as lucky as most of you….my first car was and still is a 1986 dodge ram….its faded metallic blue all over. with half the engine made up of duct tape, and only half of its exhaust system still attached (the other half fell off on the freeway). the air conditioning doesnt work, it has no radio, it gets 8 miles to the gallon, and has ORANGE shag carpet on the inside…..but its my truck, and i love it…..

August 29, 2010 at 8:11 am
(35) Melinda says:

I’m fifteen, so I can’t drive it for another six months, but my first car is a blue/green Ford Mondeo. It’s third-hand and I only have it because it was my nanna’s and she passed away.

September 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm
(36) Den says:

I can still see it my younger bro had one also. I think his was a 64 Faded blue Anglia 2 door. It did get us around. I almost wish I had it today.

October 10, 2010 at 8:17 pm
(37) steve says:

my first wheels was a 1987 buick electra park ave. only had 50k when i got it last year. leather, power everything. huge bench seats. my tallest friend couldn’t get his knees to touch the back of the seat when he sat in the back. and the trunk! you could fit 8 sister’s bfs in there. no abs, lap belts, and no air bags. even though it was only 2wd and as wide as a bus, i took it through more fields then my friends jeep ever saw. the down sides: as ugly as your aunt george and only 12 mpg. but i love that car.

October 10, 2010 at 9:44 pm
(38) Sean says:

I’m 17 and I just bought my first car 5 days ago…it’s a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT, 5 speed with 82k on it…I got it for only $2800, surprisingly. I love the car right now, I hope it can last me a decade, or at least until college is over…

October 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm
(39) HD says:

The first car I ever owned under my name was a 1993 Ford Tempo GL, which is a loosermobile ( I bought it this year -_- ). The car itself was rotten ( it’s already dead in the junkyard). I would have liked it new, but abuse from the previous owners didn’t do any good. The transmission grinded (automatic :O), reverse didn’t always work, The muffler was “new” but the car made so much noise from the engine compartment that I couldn’t drive anywhere without being noticed ( not a good thing ) and it didn’t have any floorboards in the back. Not worth fixing, I drove the car for a couple of months like that. Even if it was in a very bad state, I loved the thing. You could push it hard and never get a speeding ticket. In fact, we managed to do a 0-60 in 18.5 seconds! My friends kept on telling me to merge faster on highways, but I always told them that I was already flooring it. It was fun to race other people and loose without knowing they’re involved :P

November 2, 2010 at 10:03 pm
(40) Sarah says:

a 2001 Honda Accord EX(:

we have had it for 10 years and it was finally passed down to me!

November 30, 2010 at 3:13 am
(41) Ayoba says:

I recently bought an old ford anglia i just loved it the first time i saw it. It is not pimped yet bt i’m planning to do some “serious damage” to it, i wish we had a pimp my ride show in South-Africa, i’m 18 years old working for 6month now, hope pimping it is not going to take tooooooo long, bt otherwise i’m happy i really love my first ride.

Guilty girl

January 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(42) Steven says:

Ah, a 1999 Mercury Cougar. Spruce Green paint, a huge dent in the driver side rear panel, a slipping transmission, and around 9mpg. Thing was a legend.

February 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm
(43) tim says:

my first car was and i still have it was a 1970 dodge challenger with the 440 six pack it was banana yellow with a long strip going down the side’s

February 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm
(44) tim says:

i mean is not was

February 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm
(45) smithy says:

I am 16.5 and i just bought my uncle’s 2002 chevy trailblazer. he coutimized it to look really nice.(running boards,trailer hitch,window shades) its gold and really nice. 6500$ yo.

May 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm
(46) ryan says:

i just got mine its a 97 firebird

July 25, 2011 at 3:38 am
(47) Josh says:

Im 17 and I have a 78 Camaro. Amazing car, 350 V8. Drives amazing, most reliable car. I’ve only had it for since i was 15 but its had not one problem! I wouldnt trade it for anything in the world! Never been in any wrecks cuz im a good driver and I truely car about my car, i could never imagine going 80 down a 45 just cuz the engine is big and bad(though some of yours trumph mine). I treat her better than anything i have ever owned.!

August 21, 2011 at 11:16 pm
(48) Emanuel bigins says:

Im 17 and i have two cars one that i bought for 5800$(1999 landrover) and a 2007 acura rsx im an only child so i am often spoiled but i did buy my first car with my $(every bit mine.but i trade my land rover to a guy on graigslist i also had to add in 2900 $ and know i have my acura and a 2005 orange audi tt!

April 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm
(49) SS says:

19 male uk.. just brought a clio 1.4 insurance cost 3200 fully comp +170 road tax for a year…

May 13, 2012 at 8:09 pm
(50) The Fox says:

My first car is a 1967 Mustang straight-6. Bought non-running, there were three holes in the engine block. I had my eyes set on that car for over a year until I was able to save up enough to buy. She’s been in the shop for four days now and this week will be her first start in five years! I’m 19 going on 20 and I never thought I’d own one of my dream cars so young.

June 13, 2012 at 8:05 am
(51) Gab says:

i just had mine it is a VW Scirocco 2.0 TSI, Blue, AMAZING !!!!! I LOVE IT

July 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm
(52) Diane says:

1965 Ford Galaxie, green,”The Pickle”

July 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm
(53) Dean says:

My First First car was a 2002 Chevy Cavalier I got from my parents cause they were sick of driving me around, three months later it was totaled when I got T Boned by a mountianeer. My Second first car was a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34. So Much Fun until a little over a year later that too was totaled. Rolled a full size pickup and only took some damage to the fender, man that thing was a tank. Now I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS thats never let me down and a 2002 Silverado z71 thats a total beast! That one being my second truck my first being a 1990 k1500 that was a damn good pickup.

August 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm
(54) Stewart says:

In ’76 my first car was a 1969 Camaro I bought for 800. Had a 307 but a 4-speed. Built it up over the next few years with a 350 LT-1 and many other parts and equipment, selling it a few years later. Today, I still drive a ’69 Camaro but a SS 396 4-speed (all numbers matching) and use it as a daily driver.

August 11, 2012 at 11:04 am
(55) Logan says:

my first car was a truck, A 1987 Chevy Pickup, my favorite years, the 73/87′s I Love er to death an years later she still settin in the back yard, ran er for years, made alotta memories with that truck, ahhh flyin down backroads with literally 5 maybe 6 miles to the gallon, runnin outta gas with your girlfriend by your side, breakin down with your buddies on a busy highway, an ridin in “country style”, just makin memories that’ll last a lifetime, had the good old 350 5.7 liter small block, would still probably fire up today, an the old 350 turbo tranny that always grinded in first gear but ran for years anyways, someday she’ll be on the road again, nothin runs like a Chevy Truck, those were the days!

August 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm
(56) A says:

My first car was a 1979 Porsche 928 in bright blue. I love that thing so much that I didn’t even care when something happened to the driver’s side door hinge. When it completely stopped opening and closing and I didn’t have the money to fix it, I just climbed in and out on the passenger side. I must have been mch more nimble in my younger years.

August 14, 2012 at 4:01 am
(57) Andrew says:

Just got it 2 days ago. Cant drive it til my 16th bday in Feb. 2002 gmc sierra denali. And its NICE. Its gettin a louder exhaust system next month like my dads 94 silverado has :D . Power seats for driver AND passenger, steering wheel controls and Quadrasteer = my fave features on it ;) . (i tried to upload a pic of one that looks just like it :p)

September 8, 2012 at 2:41 am
(58) Thomas says:

I got a ’85 Toyota land cruiser from when my uncle moved out. It’s got 125k on miles and has been cared for since I was in elementary school! Spent about $250 fixing the a/c and now it blows in ice cold air! I’m 17 and my first car is this giant metal environment killer, love it!

October 27, 2012 at 1:03 am
(59) Joshua says:

I’m turned 16 a month ago and I got a 1996 Toyota Supra with a mean V6 engine. There were a few setbacks, like the engine works sometimes and there’s a dent on the passenger’s door, but its a Supra what can I say. My first car was my dream car!!!

January 13, 2013 at 3:53 am
(60) Terry says:

Started with a. 69 Nova 427 4spd
Puke green
Swapped that for a 70 BOSS 302 yippe
Wish still had it

March 16, 2013 at 10:35 pm
(61) Kevin says:

My first car was a red 1990 Acura Integra that was already a year older than me. I crashed and smashed the bumper literally days after I got it and had it replaced with a Baby Blue bumper from a junkyard. No AC sunroof busted no radio, it would barley get me from A to B. It was a hunk of junk but I loved the freedom of having my own wheels and going where I wanted!

August 2, 2013 at 11:18 pm
(62) Robert C. Stewart says:

Well this is reaching back a lot of years but my first car a very original 1930 Model A Ford Town Sedan and I was in the process on fixing it up in order to drive it to High School after I was old enough to get a
drivers permit and license.. Then along came a car buyer from
Harrah’s Car Collection in Reno and offered me 10 times what I
had paid for it and I jumped on that deal.. That would have been the
summer of 1954 in Redmond, Oregon My family lived out on the
N.W. Market Road.. I have never been to Reno but have always
wondered where my car ended up…
Thanks, Robert Stewart